NEWS stands for Nuclear Events Web-based System and is an IAEA-supported communication channel on the Internet. The system is run by the IAEA and co-sponsored by the Nuclear Energy Agency of the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD/NEA) and World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO).
NEWS provides authoritative information about nuclear or radiological events which are rated at Level 2 and above at the INES scale or events attracting international media interest. NEWS covers significant events reported at nuclear power plants, research reactors and nuclear fuel cycle facilities, and reported occurrences involving radiation sources or the transport of radioactive material. Events are open for viewing for the past 12 months.
For more information, please contact the NEWS Contact point and for INES information the INES Contact point.
- Authoritative: All information in the resource has been verified by authorities as indicated.
- Quality-checked: All information in the resource has been quality-checked as indicated.
- Not quality-checked: Although the information in the resource may come from peer-reviewed journals or other high-quality sources, it has not undergone subsequent quality checking before incorporation in the resource.
CompletenessExplanation of Terms
- Comprehensive:The resource includes all items in the category for which the resource was created.
- Selective: The resource includes only selected items in the category for which the resource was created, with the process or basis for the selection as indicated.
Update FrequencyExplanation of Terms
- Updated continually: A conscientious effort is made to add new information immediately and keep the resource up-to-date on a day-by-day basis.
- Updated periodically: The resource is updated on a schedule. Common values are monthly, quarterly, annually or biennially, but others are also used.
- Updated occasionally: The resource is updated now and then, but not on a schedule.
- Static: The resource is a one-off creation with no plans for updates, or a resource that was updated in the past but has now been frozen with no new input planned.
Last Resource Update : 2012
NS - Incident and Emergency Centre