This Electronic textbook has been made available to the interested reader in order to support self-study for those who are unfamiliar with basic nuclear engineering.
The manner in which the core of a nuclear reactor functions depends on the interaction of neutrons with atomic nuclei of matter.
The interaction of the neutrons with atomic nuclei is governed by their properties. For this reason several modules are dedicated to understand some features of atomic nuclei and nuclear reactions. Therefore, the course modules address the following topics: atomic nuclei, nuclear reactions, fission, neutron production, cross sections, chain reaction and steady state reactor.
The neutron distribution in fissionable material is an important aspect of the behaviour of the core. A conceptual description of the diffusion equation is presented to understand the behaviour of real reactor cores. Therefore, the course modules address the following topics: homogeneous and heterogeneous systems, neutron leakage, critical size and reflector, distribution of neutron flux and its effect on output power, changes in reactor power relative to time.
The final topic covered in this course deals with general aspects of reactor operation, namely: effect of neutron sources, reactivity effects due to temperature changes, xenon poisoning and fuel burnup.
- Authoritative: All information in the resource has been verified by authorities as indicated.
- Quality-checked: All information in the resource has been quality-checked as indicated.
- Not quality-checked: Although the information in the resource may come from peer-reviewed journals or other high-quality sources, it has not undergone subsequent quality checking before incorporation in the resource.
CompletenessExplanation of Terms
- Comprehensive:The resource includes all items in the category for which the resource was created.
- Selective: The resource includes only selected items in the category for which the resource was created, with the process or basis for the selection as indicated.
Update FrequencyExplanation of Terms
- Updated continually: A conscientious effort is made to add new information immediately and keep the resource up-to-date on a day-by-day basis.
- Updated periodically: The resource is updated on a schedule. Common values are monthly, quarterly, annually or biennially, but others are also used.
- Updated occasionally: The resource is updated now and then, but not on a schedule.
- Static: The resource is a one-off creation with no plans for updates, or a resource that was updated in the past but has now been frozen with no new input planned.
Last Resource Update : 2004
Nuclear Safety and Security
Reactor Physics | Nuclear Safety | Training Material on TRIGA Research Reactor | Regulatory Control of Nuclear Power Plants (NPPs) | EDF NPP Operating Safety Handbook (RC) | Thermal Hydraulics |