The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), in co-operation with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), is conducting since 1961 a worldwide survey of hydrogen and oxygen isotope contents in precipitation, known as the Global Network of Isotopes in Precipitation (GNIP). The main objective of this activity is the systematic collection of basic data on the isotopic contents in precipitation at a global scale.
GNIP data is disseminated via WISER (Water Isotope System for Data Analysis, Visualization and Electronic Retrieval), a dedicated web application developed by the University of Vienna (UNIVIE), Dept. of Geography, Cartography & GIS branch.
Due to major renovation works with the databases and the associated applications, WISER is currently available only with limited capabilities. A re-launch is planned during 2013; likely also including isotope and hydrochemical data from rivers, lakes and groundwaters.
Please scroll down on the WISER page to see the links and information for login.
- Authoritative: All information in the resource has been verified by authorities as indicated.
- Quality-checked: All information in the resource has been quality-checked as indicated.
- Not quality-checked: Although the information in the resource may come from peer-reviewed journals or other high-quality sources, it has not undergone subsequent quality checking before incorporation in the resource.
CompletenessExplanation of Terms
- Comprehensive:The resource includes all items in the category for which the resource was created.
- Selective: The resource includes only selected items in the category for which the resource was created, with the process or basis for the selection as indicated.
Update FrequencyExplanation of Terms
- Updated continually: A conscientious effort is made to add new information immediately and keep the resource up-to-date on a day-by-day basis.
- Updated periodically: The resource is updated on a schedule. Common values are monthly, quarterly, annually or biennially, but others are also used.
- Updated occasionally: The resource is updated now and then, but not on a schedule.
- Static: The resource is a one-off creation with no plans for updates, or a resource that was updated in the past but has now been frozen with no new input planned.
Last Resource Update : 2012
Nuclear Sciences and Applications | NAPC - Isotope Hydrology Section
Codes and Numerical Data