- The present status of Medical Physics Education and Training in Europe. New perspectives and EFOMP recommendations (EFOMP)
- Guidelines for education and training of medical physicists in radiotherapy, recommendations from an ESTRO/EFOMP working group
- The present status of Medical Physics Education and Training in Europe: An EFOMP survey, 2008 (EFOMP)
- Academic Program Recommendations for Graduate Degrees in Medical Physics, 2002 (AAPM)
- Essentials and Guidelines for Hospital-Based Medical Physics Residency Training Programs, 2006 (AAPM)
- El físico médico (IAEA) (Spanish)
- News - Strengthening Medical Physics at the IAEA
An ideal education for a medical physicist consists of (a) appropriate academic qualifications at the postgraduate level, and (b) clinical training and (c) professional accreditation or registration with a competent body.
While different countries have varying structures for the education and certification of medical physicists, the need for quality, structured, educational standards is ubiquitous. The role of clinical medical physicists in supporting quality health care is becomming more recognized, and so is the need for development and refinement of robust educational programmes for the training of competent medical physicists. Both the AAPM and EFOMP have taken proactive roles in assessing medical physics educational system which are in place, and defining what goals should be sought for improving the current system.
The IAEA is currently working on an initiative to strengthen the field of medical physics through addressing a number of issues. This project is a joint effort, involving input from a cross section of experts from geographically varied regions. A large part of this initiative is to identify gaps in education and training, and to develop/harmonize educational materials as needed including existing resources developed by professional societies. A concerted decision will be taken on the development of new resources and the harmonization existing curriculums. The results of this project should become available in 2012.