- Essentials and Guidelines for an Accredited Educational Program for the NMT, Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology (JRCNMT)
- Scope of Practice for the NMT, Society of Nuclear Medicine, Technologists Section (SNMT)
- Scope of Practice for Medical Radiation Technologist, Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT)
- Position Paper on Muticompetency, Multiskilled, Multicredentialed NMT, Society of Nuclear Medicine, Technologists Section (SNMT)
- Curriculum guide for educational programs in NMT, Society of Nuclear Medicine, Technologists Section (SNMT)
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) - Computed Tomography (CT) Curriculum, Society of Nuclear Medicine, Technologists Section (SNMT)
- NMT Competency Profile, Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT)
- Competencies for the European NMT, European Association of Nuclear Medicine, Technologists Committee
Education & Training
The current situation of NMT across the world is very diverse, with training levels ranging from short courses to university careers and degrees. Most technologists have some kind of university background although with no specific training in nuclear medicine. However, a significant number of persons working as technologists have not received any type of training at all. The role of the NMT is widely recognized, and so is the need for development and improvement of educational programmes. The practice of nuclear medicine technology encompasses multidisciplinary skills, which use rapidly evolving instrumentation, radiopharmaceuticals and techniques. In order to perform these tasks, the NMT must successfully complete didactic and clinical education. Recommended coursework includes, but is not limited to, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer applications, biomedical sciences, ethics, and radiation health and safety. Direct patient contact hours are obtained by training in a clinical education setting.
Several NMT curriculums from different technologist organizations are linked to in the "Related Links" section.