Following the growing demand from Member States for assistance in disposal of low and intermediate level radioactive waste, a network has been established to increase efficiency in sharing international experience in the area. DISPONET is intended to bring together those planners, developers and operators of disposal facilities who wish to steadily improve international practices and approaches in managing low and intermediate level waste.
Objectives of DISPONET
To coordinate support to organizations or Member States with less advanced programmes for disposal of low level waste, by making available the relevant skills, knowledge, managerial approaches and expertise from Member States with operating disposal facilities;
- To facilitate information and experience sharing amongst organizations with advanced designs and disposal facilities in operation;
- To organize training and demonstration activities with a regional or thematic focus providing hands-on, user-oriented experience and advising on proven technologies;
- To create a forum to receive expert advice and technical guidance for the Agency programme on low level waste disposal; and
- To encourage knowledge transfer regarding good practices in low level waste disposal.
Scope of Activities of DISPONET
The programme of DISPONET activities was formulated in consultation with advanced repository operators. Topics considered cover the full scope of disposal issues and respect different national approaches, in particular:
- Low and intermediate level waste and very low level waste, including disused sealed radioactive sources;
- Facilities for surface and subsurface disposal, including borehole disposal;
- The whole lifecycle of a disposal facility, such as: planning, siting, design, construction, assessment of safety, operation, closure, monitoring and institutional control; Different stages of repository development.
To read more, click here to go to the www.iaea.org external website for the URF Network.
New users need to register on Nucleus before they can join a network. Click here for registration instructions.
Click here to join DISPONET