There are no further upcoming events planned for 2017.
Output 1: Reviewed and enhanced methodology document for systematic assessment of the impact of site specific external events on the NPP’s and the evaluation of their safety margin in response to the imposed hazard
1. Develop overall project framework and outline content and resources for each task
The activity is completed. A detailed Project Plan was developed for the overall project framework. The plan defines the purpose of the project, the deliverables, the work breakdown structure, and the resources and time schedule for each task for the entire project. A consolidated internal package was developed for compiling all project related documents.
2. Review initial methodology in light of MS stress test results, IAEA use of methodology, and actions by other MS considering an extended list of hazards
The activity is completed. The initial methodology has been revised in light of MS stress test results. The initial methodology only covered seismic and flood hazards. The revised methodology covers now all kinds of external hazards, both natural and human induced.
3. Review existing technical publications identifying hazards including criteria for considering potential combinations of hazards
The activity is completed and a comprehensive list of external hazards is now considered by the revised methodology.
4. Identify hazards and select those which are significant and applicable for the project
The activity is completed. The comprehensive list of potential hazards has been screened for three representative sites and the most commonly applicable external hazards have been identified (earthquake, flood, high winds, aircraft crash and release of hazardous materials). More detailed guidance about these hazards is provided in the methodology document.
5. Develop a process for screening site specific hazards or combinations of hazards
The activity is completed. The methodology includes now, as a first step, the identification of applicable hazards to an specific site. The identification is performed in two steps: preliminary screening of hazards and bounding analyses. As a result, the list of applicable hazards is obtained.
6. For each significant hazard, identify appropriate methods for hazard assessment
The activity is completed. Appropriate methods are identified by reference to IAEA and other international publications.
7. Update the current IAEA methodology to enable consideration of the extended list of hazards and their impact on plant safety at all levels of Defence in Depth
The activity is completed.
8. Prepare methodology document for dissemination
The activity is completed. The Methodology has been developed. The feedback received during the Technical Meeting November 2015 has been incorporated into the draft TECDOC. Comments from internal review have been addressed. The final methodology document has been sent for publication as an IAEA TECDOC.
Output 2: Guidelines for Peer Review
1. Produce peer review guidelines for application of the developed methodology for assessing safety margins against extreme external hazards
The activity is completed. Draft Peer Review Guidelines were produced and sent to external experts and the independent reviewer for comments in April/2015. Comments were discussed during the Consultancy Meeting held with the external experts in Jun/2015. Peer Review Guidelines are now an Appendix to the draft IAEA TECDOC describing the methodology.
2. Develop a self-assessment questionnaire to support application of methodology by MS and Agency-led peer reviews
The activity is completed. Draft Self-Assessment Questionnaire was produced and sent to external experts and the independent reviewer for comments in April/2015. Comments were discussed during the Consultancy Meeting held with the external experts in Jun/2015. Self-assessment Questionnaire is now an Appendix to the draft IAEA TECDOC describing the methodology.
3. Holding a technical meeting on application of the methodology
The activity is completed. The Technical Meeting took place 23-26 November 2015. The feedback received during the TM is being reviewed and has been incorporated in the final version of the methodology document.
Output 3: Effective project management, technical expertise and implementation
1. Project Design and Planning
The overall project design and planning is completed.
2. Project Implementation
The implementation is completed by 31 December 2016.