Output 1: Reviewed and enhanced methodology document for systematic assessment of the impact of site specific external events on the NPP’s and the evaluation of their safety margin in response to the imposed hazard
1. Develop overall project framework and outline content and resources for each task
The activity is completed. A detailed Project Plan was developed for the overall project framework. The plan defines the purpose of the project, the deliverables, the work breakdown structure, and the resources and time schedule for each task for the entire project. A consolidated internal package was developed for compiling all project related documents.
2. Review initial methodology in light of MS stress test results, IAEA use of methodology, and actions by other MS considering an extended list of hazards
The activity is completed. The initial methodology has been revised in light of MS stress test results. The initial methodology only covered seismic and flood hazards. The revised methodology covers now all kinds of external hazards, both natural and human induced.
3. Review existing technical publications identifying hazards including criteria for considering potential combinations of hazards
The activity is completed and a comprehensive list of external hazards is now considered by the revised methodology.
4. Identify hazards and select those which are significant and applicable for the project
The activity is completed. The comprehensive list of potential hazards has been screened for three representative sites and the most commonly applicable external hazards have been identified (earthquake, flood, high winds, aircraft crash and release of hazardous materials). More detailed guidance about these hazards is provided in the methodology document.
5. Develop a process for screening site specific hazards or combinations of hazards
The activity is completed. The methodology includes now, as a first step, the identification of applicable hazards to an specific site. The identification is performed in two steps: preliminary screening of hazards and bounding analyses. As a result, the list of applicable hazards is obtained.
6. For each significant hazard, identify appropriate methods for hazard assessment
The activity is completed. Appropriate methods are identified by reference to IAEA and other international publications.
7. Update the current IAEA methodology to enable consideration of the extended list of hazards and their impact on plant safety at all levels of Defence in Depth
The activity is basically completed. The draft methodology document (draft IAEA TECDOC) was revised after a first Consultancy Meeting held in Jan/2015. The revised document was sent for external independent review. External independent review comments were received in May/2015. Those comments were discussed during a second Consultancy Meeting held with external experts in Jun/2015. A final version of the document, addressing the comments is scheduled for Jul/2015. This version will be sent by the end of August/2015 to individuals nominated by Member States for the Technical Meeting (see below, Output 2, Activity 3).
8. Prepare methodology document for dissemination
The activity has started. It will be completed in 3Q 2015, after addressing the comments to the draft TECDOC.
Output 2: Guidelines for Peer Review
1. Produce peer review guidelines for application of the developed methodology for assessing safety margins against extreme external hazards
The activity is completed. Draft Peer Review Guidelines were produced and sent to external experts and the independent reviewer for comments in April/2015. Comments were discussed during the Consultancy Meeting held with the external experts in Jun/2015. Peer Review Guidelines are now an Appendix to the draft IAEA TECDOC describing the methodology.
2. Develop a self-assessment questionnaire to support application of methodology by MS and Agency-led peer reviews
The activity is completed. Draft Self-Assessment Questionnaire was produced and sent to external experts and the independent reviewer for comments in April/2015. Comments were discussed during the Consultancy Meeting held with the external experts in Jun/2015. Self-assessment Questionnaire is now an Appendix to the draft IAEA TECDOC describing the methodology.
3. Holding a technical meeting on application of the methodology
The Technical Meeting will take place in 23-27 Nov/2015. The Note Verbale and Technical Information Sheet about the meeting have already been sent to all IAEA Member States and the Permanent Mission of the EU. The deadline for nomination by Member States of individuals attending the meeting is 31/Aug/2015.
Output 3: Effective project management, technical expertise and implementation
1. Project Design and Planning
The overall project design and planning is completed.
2. Project Implementation
The implementation is being monitored in line with the project design.