Technical Safety Review (TSR) Service
The IAEA’s Technical Safety Review (TSR) peer review service supports the enhancement of
nuclear safety for nuclear power plants and is based entirely on the IAEA safety standards. The
service addresses the needs of Member States at most stages of development and
implementation of a nuclear power programme, including the conceptual design, pre-licensing
and licensing phases, nuclear power plant construction, operation and plant modifications
including periodic safety reviews and lifetime extension. The TSR peer review service
encompasses six technical subject areas: accident management, design safety, national safety
requirements, generic reactor safety, periodic safety review and probabilistic safety assessment.
Since 1988, the IAEA has been providing safety review services in six technical subject areas
(design safety, generic reactor safety, national safety requirements, probabilistic safety
assessment, accident management, and periodic safety review) to support Member States in the
application of the IAEA safety standards. The services in the six technical subject areas had
different names over the years, but the objectives of the services remained the same.
With the objective of to streamline, harmonize and formalize the process of conducting a TSR, the updated guidelines were developed with the objective of providing a consolidated basis for the services provided by the IAEA to Member States and they aim. IAEA SERVICES SERIES No. 41 builds on
the previous guideline documents and reflect the feedback
and experience from Member States
and experts who have been involved
in the implementation of TSRs.
The TSR services encompass six technical subject areas dedicated to:
The TSR Peer Review Service:
- Provides a tailored, independent evaluation of the safety assessment and design safety documentation and makes recommendations for enhancements and improvements to nuclear safety;
- Assists regulatory bodies, plant operating organizations, vendors and technical support organizations in their technical evaluations as well as in the development of their national safety requirements;
- Supports the enhancement of nuclear safety for nuclear power plants (NPPs) based exclusively on the IAEA safety standards;
- Addresses the needs of Member States (MS) at most stages of development and implementation of the nuclear power programme, including conceptual design, various pre-licensing as well as licensing stages, NPP construction, operation and plant modifications, including periodic safety reviews and lifetime extension;
- Encompasses six technical subject areas, including design safety, generic reactor safety, national safety requirements, probabilistic safety assessment, accident management and periodic safety review.
The Technical Safety Review Service is the main approach to providing for better and wider application of the IAEA Safety Standards related to nuclear power plant safety assessment and design safety.
The TSR Services consist of the following phases:
Please see here a list of all completed TSR Services: